In 2017, MBN launched the Maghreb Voices website (https://www.maghrebvoices.com/) to inform and engage with the people of the Maghreb region in North Africa. The website targets nearly 100 million people and focuses on local issues that resonate with them. It provides visitors with an opportunity to openly and freely participate in important discussions and to share their ideas, issues and concerns. It serves as an uncensored interactive platform in an underserved part of the world.
Maghreb Voices was created to facilitate dialogue with its audiences in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Mauritania. Community Managers are on hand 24/7 to respond to and engage with readers. Maghreb Voices also uses social media platforms to facilitate the two-way conversation. Feedback for the website and its social media outlets has been overwhelmingly positive:
- Asmae expressed appreciation for the diverse content of Maghreb Voices and the fact that the website tackles issues related to the Maghreb region, which allows locals to learn more about their neighboring countries.
- Hassan noted that Maghreb Voices is the first media platform to promote the values of diversity and expressed his gratitude for the availability of information on religious, racial and ethnic minorities.
- Fourat thanked Maghreb Voices for the outstanding topics that they cover.
- Another reader voiced appreciation for the website as part of a larger effort to unify the Maghreb countries.
- Redouane from Morocco thanked the team “for this constructive platform, which is a unique medium for transmitting the voices of the people of the Maghreb.”
- Hassan from Libya stated that the website is an “amazing page that tells the economic, social and cultural realities of the Maghreb.”
Through its quality journalism and responsive feedback to readers, Maghreb Voices informs audiences in the region about major issues facing their country such as human rights abuses and the rights of women.